New to Arizona: What You Need to Know About Your Motor Vehicle Services

If you have just moved to Arizona, welcome to the desert! It can be a very exciting time to move to a new place and get settled. One of the first things you might expect to do is to register your car in this state and get a new drivers license. Most people head directly to Arizona’s Motor Vehicle Division to get everything taken care of, however, there are some things you should know first.

Here is what you need to know about Arizona’s motor vehicle services.

In-Person Services Have Changed

It should come as no surprise now that things have changed since the pandemic of Covid-19 swept the nation. Every business that could offer their employees to stay home and limit in-person transactions has done just that. The Arizona MVD is no different. They are currently only taking appointments for essential services.

The good news is that many things you might need to get taken care of can be done online. However, many new residents still like to go in person to ensure things are done properly. If this sounds like you, then you are in luck (just keep reading)

Authorized Third-Party MVD Options

For in-person motor vehicle services, you can head to an authorized third-party MVD dealer in the valley to get all your services completed. Authorized third-party motor vehicle centers work just like the Arizona MVD. The biggest difference is that they do not require an appointment and you might find the wait times to be a lot shorter. Additionally, they have extended evening and weekend hours. It makes it very convenient if you have trouble getting away from work.

The best option is to head to one of the many 1 Stop Motor Vehicle Services locations in the valley. These locations include:

  • 2525 N, Scottsdale Rd in Scottsdale Arizona
  • 5036 W Cactus Rd in Glendale Arizona
  • 940 N Alma School Rd in Chandler Arizona
  • 4385 W Bell Rd in Glendale Arizona
  • 1501 N. 16th St in Phoenix Arizona
  • 11249 W Buckeye Rd in Avondale Arizona
  • 833 N. Cooper Rd in Gilbert Arizona
  • 3655 W. Anthem Way in Anthem, Arizona

1 Stop Motor Vehicle Services is an authorized third-party MVS center. You can walk-in without an appointment to get services like vehicle title, vehicle registration, new driver license and so much more.

In addition, 1 Stop Motor Vehicle Services can help you make it to payday. You can opt for a title loan or registration loan to help with a financial emergency or just being short on cash. The approval process is quick and easy. The best part is that you do not have to have great credit to qualify. For many people, this is a game-changer.

Lastly, you should also know about getting a Travel ID. In 2005, congress passed the Real ID Act. The act requires state driver’s licenses and identification cards to be compliant for “official purposes” by the federal government in situations such as boarding a commercial airliner or entering a federal building.

The original due date to obtain a Travel ID was October 2020. An extension to obtain a Travel ID has been granted due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Currently, all Arizona residents wishing to board a plane or enter a federal building must provide a Travel ID-compliant license, starting October 1, 2021. If you are unsure if your Arizona driver license is a Travel ID, just check the upper right-hand corner for a gold start. If your license does not have this gold star, then you do not have a Travel ID.

All 1 Stop Motor Vehicle Services locations that offer MVD services will also be able to help you with a Travel ID. Be sure to begin the application process online and bring with you the proper identification documents. This license will be valid for 8 years. Lastly, don’t forget to smile. Your picture will be taken.


The state law in Arizona requires you to register your vehicle and obtain a new driver license immediately upon becoming a resident. According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, you are a resident when:

  • “You work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work).
  • You are registered to vote in Arizona.
  • You place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident.
  • You have a business with an office in Arizona that bases and operates vehicles in this state.
  • You obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.
  • You have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona.
  • You remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.”

Bottom Line

If you are new to Arizona, you have some options with regard to getting settled into your new home. You must take care of your vehicle’s title and registration quickly, along with getting your new driver license. The good news is that you can do a lot online or in-person at an authorized third-party center.

Comments are closed.